Need Some Help in Dark Souls 3?
Dark Souls 3 is rather challenging. In fact, there are those who will point out that the challenge makes up a substantial portion of the Souls series’s charm. Unfortunately, there are no cheats for Dark Souls 3 save exploits that were patched out a long, long time ago, though there are suggestions that might prove useful for interested individuals.
What Are Some Suggestions?
Here are some examples:
Patience Is Your Friend
Knowing the opponent’s patterns is critical for overcoming them in Dark Souls 3. Due to this, interested individuals shouldn’t rush in whenever they come up someone or something new. Instead, they should step in and then step out to see what kinds of attacks their new opponent can use. Moreover, they will want to pay very close attention to the motions that telegraph these attacks so that they can be prepared when they move in for the real portion of the fight.
You Need to Master Your Rolls
It is possible to play a tank character in Dark Souls 3, but for most players, their rolling will be their better option for surviving their enemies. As a result, while it can be tempting to put on as much armor as possible, interested individuals need to balance that increased measure of protection with the hindrance to their rolling capabilities. On top of this, it should be noted that it tends to be best to roll in the opposite direction of the attack because that should put the player in the best position to capitalize on their movement. For example, if the opponent is swinging their weapon from left to right, it makes sense to roll towards the left so that the player won’t get hit by the rest of the swing.
Speaking of which, players should never over-commit with an attack on their opponent. Instead, whenever they are in the right position, they should get in some damage but still leave themselves enough stamina to get out of the way. Otherwise, they are just asking to get punished by their opponent with the next attack. Yes, this can be frustrating because it means that players will have to engage in a constant cycle of closing in, getting in some attacks, and then getting out. However, it is nonetheless necessary because the player can’t afford to trade blow for blow with their enemies.
Forget About Playing Fair
There is no sense to playing fair when it comes to the enemies in Dark Souls 3. Instead, if there is something that can be done to make the fighting easier, don’t be afraid to do it. For example, if the player has a bow, that can be used to lure in enemies one at a time by shooting them. Likewise, if the player has a nice stockpile of useful items, there is no sense in keeping them in reserve for the future when they can be put to much more productive uses in the now. Certainly, Dark Souls 3 isn’t the most generous game out there, but interested individuals won’t be short on items by the end of the game.
Bonfires currently respawn enemies. Thus, once you reach the Firelink Shrine, use the bonfire. Then, teleport back to the first area and all the enemies will have respawned. You can kill them again with minimal difficulty and work your way back to Firelink Shrine. Repeat this as many times as desired. This can be done with any bonfire to respawn enemies. To get more HP and survive longer, ember yourself while doing this.
After you ember yourself, use a dried finger. This increases the amount of souls you gain for a limited time, but you have to be embered for this to take effect. Additionally, equip the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring to get even more souls between rests at the bonfire. Note:This exploit was performed on patch 1.04 of the game. It will eventually get patched. To avoid not being able to use this exploit, either do not install new patches before using this exploit or delete the patches. You can avoid patches being installed by disconnecting from the internet until you are ready for the game to install new patches.
This exploit can be used with any of the Boss Souls you acquire after defeating a Boss. It can be very difficult to do at first, but once you get the timing down it becomes much easier. First, clear the tool belt of any items. Next, add an empty estus flask to your tool belt slot. Equip a shield that lets you parry (for example, the Knight’s starting shield). Then, add a Boss Soul to one of your quick item slots. Make sure there are no other items in your quick item slots. Finally, while holding D-pad Down the entire time, perform a parry (L2), then during the parry (when the shield is parallel to your character’s shoulder — just one frame before he starts to drop it down), very quickly press Square, Options, X.
Another method is while holding D-pad Down the entire time, press L2, then quickly press Square(3), Options, X. If done correctly, the equipment box will appear for a split-second and you will get a prompt to use the soul and the HUD (that displays the quick item slots with the Boss Soul in it) in the bottom left corner will have disappeared. If you do not see the equipment box briefly appear and the HUD is still visible, select “No” when prompted to use the soul. Otherwise, you will use the soul and not retain it.
If the equipment box did appear briefly during the button sequence and the HUD has disappeared, select “Yes” to use it and get a lot of souls and still have the Boss Soul equipped. Repeat this process as many times as desired. Note: It is recommended to create a cloud or USB backup of your saved game before attempting this exploit. Thus, if you make a mistake you can restore your saved game from the cloud or USB and try again. Additionally, this glitch was performed on patch 1.03 of the game. It may get patched. To avoid not being able to use this exploit, either do not install new patches before using this exploit or delete the patches. You can avoid patches being installed by disconnecting from the internet until you are ready for the game to install new patches.
You can use transposition on Boss Souls to transform them into weapons, magic, and other items. They can also be converted into a large number of souls. Transposition is done through Ludleth of Courland at Firelink Shrine. You will first need the indicated Boss Soul and the Transposing Kiln, which is obtained from Curse-Rotted Greatwood. Perform transposition on the indicated Boss Soul to get one of the corresponding rewards:
- Soul of the Dancer: Soothing Sunlight, Dancer’s Enchanted Swords, or broken into 10,000 souls.
- Soul of High Lord Wolnir: Wolnir’s Holy Sword, Black Serpent, or broken into 10,000 souls.
- Soul of Boreal Valley Vordt: Vordt’s Great Hammer, Pontiff’s Left Eye, or broken into 2,000 souls.
- Soul of the Rotted Greatwood: Hollowslayer Greatsword, Arstor’s Spear, or broken into 3,000 souls.
- Soul of the Blood of the Wolf: Farron Greatsword, Wolf Knight’s Greatsword, or broken into 20,000 souls.
- Soul of the Deacons of the Deep: Cleric’s Candlestick, Deep Soul, or broken into 20,000 souls.
- Soul of a Demon: Demon’s Greataxe, Demon’s Fist, or broken into 20,000 souls.
- Soul of Aldrich: Lifehunt Scythe, Darkmoon Longbow, or broken into 15,000 souls.
- Soul of a Crystal Sage: Crystal Sage’s Rapier, Crystal Hail, or broken into 3,000 souls.
- Soul of Pontiff Sulyvahn: Greatsword of Judgment, Profaned Greatsword, or broken into 12,000 souls.
- Soul of the Old Demon King: Chaos Bed Vestiges, Old King’s Great Hammer, or broken into 10,000 souls.
- Soul of a Stray Demon: Havel’s Ring, Boulder Heave, or broken into 20,000 souls.
- Soul of Yhorm the Giant: Yhorm’s Great Machete, Yhorm’s Greatshield, or broken into 20,000 souls.
- Soul of Dragonslayer Armour: Dragonslayer Greataxe, Dragonslayer Greatshield, or broken into 15,000 souls.
- Soul of Consumed Oceiros: White Dragon Breath, Moonlight Greatsword, or broken into 12,000 souls.
- Soul of Champion Gundyr: Gundyr’s Halberd, Prisoner’s Chain, or broken into 20,000 souls.
- Soul of the Twin Princes: Lothric’s Holy Sword, Lorian’s Greatsword, or broken into 20,000 souls.
- Soul of the Nameless King: Storm Curved Sword, Dragonslayer Swordspear, Lightning Storm, or broken into 16,000 souls.
- Soul of the Lords: Sunlight Spear, Firelink Greatsword, or broken into 20,000 souls.
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding gesture:
- Applause: Speak with Leonhard after he appears at Firelink Shrine and get the Cracked Red Orbs. Then, talk to him again to get the key to the locked door under the Tower on the Wall Bonfire in High Wall of Lothric leading to Darkwraith. Kill the Darkwraith to get a Red Eye Orb then speak with Leonhard again to learn the gesture.
- Beckon: Speak with Yoel of Londor near the Foot of the High Wall Bonfire.
- By My Sword: Summon Black Hand Gotthard and he will perform the gesture.
- Call Over: Trade a Homeward Bone with the crows.Collapse: Meet with Hawkwood.
- Curl Up: Give Greirat of the Undead Settlement a Loretta’s Bone.
- Darkmoon Loyalty: Speak with Sirris in Firelink Shrine.
- Dignified Bow: Meet the Yuria of Londor.
- Duel Bow: Get five Dark Sigils by leveling up with Yoel. Then summon the Londor Pale Shade, who appears at various locations.
- Hurrah!: Speak with Blacksmith Andre.
- Legion Etiquette: Pray to the Old Wolf statue found in the Farron Swamp.
- My Thanks!: Fight the Knight Slayer Tsorig in the Demon Ruins.
- Patches Squat: Speak with Patches at the Firelink Shrine.
- Path of The Dragon: Learned from corpse after Oceiros, the Consumed King. It is required to access the Archdragon Peak.
- Praise the Sun: Pray at the Altar of Sunlight in Lothric Castle.
- Prayer: Meet with Irina.
- Proper Bow: Kill Heyzel in the Farron Keep and get a Pale Tongue to the Rosaria’s Fingers Covenant. Extinguish three flames and you will see her summon sign at Keep Ruins Bonfire. Summon her to get the gesture.
- Prostration: Reply negatively to Patches when he apologizes.
- Quiet Resolve: Speak with Horace at the Halfway Fortress Bonfire.
- Rejoice: Obtained during the Siegward questline.
- Rest: Rest at a Bonfire.
- Silent Ally: Obtained from Orbeck of Vinheim after he relocates to Firelink.
- Sleep: Learn Toast from Siegward of Catarina then speak with him again after he has gone to sleep.
- Stretch Out: Go to the Profaned Capital near the first Bonfire and learn it near the corpse found there.
- Toast: Speak with Siegward of Catarina after killing the demon.Welcome: Speak with Cornyx in the Undead Settlement, then at the Firelink Shrine.
Defeating Iudex Gundyr
Iudex Gundyr is the first Boss in the game. He is part of the tutorial section and quite easy to defeat. To start the fight, you must pull a spike out of his chest. Attack him immediately to take away a good chunk of health before he gets up. Approximately halfway through the fight, he will transform and get more aggressive. He is defenseless while transforming. His attacks can be parried with a shield, or simply dodge and try to get behind him. If you play as a sorcerer or pyromancer, keep your distance. You can also use your three estus flasks to refill health. You will get an trophy for defeating each of the 18 Bosses.
Defeating Soul of Cinder
Soul of Cinder is the final story Boss. After defeating him, you can interact with the last bonfire (same place where you fight him) to trigger the game ending and start New Game+. He uses a variety of attacks and weapons that he is always switching around. A recommended strategy is to take Havel’s Greatshield (any greatshield will do) and walk close to him in circles while blocking all attacks. After blocking his combo, attack him 1-2 times and block again. After a few hits, he will get stunned and you can take down a good chunk of his health. Just keep it slow and block, do one hit and repeat.
In between his attacks, you should release [Block] so your stamina recovers quicker. When he uses magic, you can get up close to him and just attack. After his first health bar is gone, he gets more aggressive. His available attacks change slightly. He uses longer combos and throws lightning spears at you. When he uses lightning he is vulnerable — that is when you should attack even if he hits you a few times. Roll away from him when he does the 5-hit sword combo with the big fire explosion. Everything else you can block with the shield. You just have to learn how to balance your stamina for this fight so you have enough to block, but also enough to get one hit in. Keep your equipment load below 70% to speed up stamina recovery. You should definitely put a few points in stamina before this fight.
Successfully complete the indicated task to view the corresponding ending. Note: Make a backup of your saved game after defeating the final Boss so you can copy back your old saved game and get the other endings in the same playthrough.
To Link The First Flame: Simply interact with the bonfire after defeating the final Boss. This is the standard ending and the easiest one to get.
The End Of Fire: You must find the hidden eyes in the Untended Graves area to get this ending, which is the dark version of the starting area. Use the “Finding Untended Graves secret area” hint to find out how to reach that area. Once you reach that area, go to the shrine and hit the illusion wall downstairs to reveal the eyes. Collect them and travel back to the real Firelink Shrine. Give the eyes to the fire keeper.
Then, kill the final Boss (Soul of Cinder). You can then either light the bonfire or summon the fire keeper. To get this ending, you must summon the fire keeper (do not interact with the bonfire). She will only be available when you have given the eyes to her.
The Usurpation Of Fire: This ending is easily missable and by far the most complicated one to get. You must complete a long quest line to get it. The most important factor is to never cure your hollowing while trying to get this ending. This means do not heal your dark sigil, do not give a firekeeper soul to the firekeeper, and do not use purging stones. Hollowing is what makes your character look like a zombie. You are allowed to restore ember.
Successfully complete all of the following steps as soon as possible. Do not do anything unnecessary in-between and do not progress the story any further than you have to or you could mess things up. If anything goes wrong, you can also speedrun the story within 2-3 hours in New Game+.
- Step 1: Recruit Yoel on the bridge of “Foot Of The High Wall” bonfire.
- Step 2: Talk to Yoel in the Firelink Shrine and let him give you a free level up.
- Step 3: Kill yourself eight times in a row (jump off the cliff).
- Step 4: Level up four more times at Yoel (every two deaths is one level up).
- Step 5: Yoel will now die and is replaced by Yuria in the Firelink Shrine. Talk to Yuria (fast travel back and forth so she spawns).
- Step 6: Talk to Anri (a knight) at the “Halfway Fortress” bonfire (Road Of Sacrifices area).
- Step 7: Kill the Deacons Of The Deep Boss (Cathedral Of The Deep area).
- Step 8: Talk to Anri in the Firelink Shrine after defeating the Deacons Of The Deep Boss.
- Step 9: Talk to Anri near Catacombs Of Carthus entrance after killing the Lord Of Cinder: Abyss Watchers Boss.
- Step 10: Talk to Anri further down in the Catacombs (by the hanging bridge before the Wolnir Boss).
- Step 11: Kill Horace down in the area where you fight the Old Demon King Boss (destroy hanging bridge to climb down there).
- Step 12: Return to Anri and talk to her.
- Step 13: Talk to Anri at the “Church Of Yorshka” bonfire (Irithyll Of The Boreal Valley area).
- Step 14: Kill the Pontiff Sulyvahn Boss (Irithyll Of The Boreal Valley area).
- Step 15: Talk to Yuria in the Firelink Shrine.
- Step 16: Marry Anri in the room below the “Anor Londo” bonfire (Irithyll Of The Boreal Valley area).
- Step 17: Talk to Yuria one last time in the Firelink Shrine.
- Step 18: Proceed through the game and kill the final Boss (Soul Of Cinder). Then, interact with the bonfire in front of you to trigger “The Usurpation Of Fire” secret ending.
Finding Archdragon Peak secret area
To reach the Archdragon Peak secret area, you must defeat “Oceiros, the Consumed King” Boss. This is relatively late in the game. Oceiros is Boss 13 of 18. Open the door in the room where the Boss fight took place. It will lead you to the “Old Dragon” gesture that you must collect. This gesture is very important for the next step. Travel to the Irithyll dungeon. Progress through the dungeon until you reach a lookout with a dragon statue (there is also an elevator nearby). Use the Old Dragon gesture at this spot to trigger a cutscene and reach the hidden Archdragon Peak area. Go up the hill a little bit to get the “Archdragon Peak” trophy.
Finding Untended Graves secret area
To reach the Untended Graves secret area, you must defeat “Oceiros, the Consumed King” Boss. This is relatively late in the game. Oceiros is Boss 13 of 18. There is also a bonfire in the Boss room which you can use to fast travel. Open the door where the Oceiros Boss fight took place and follow the path into the next room. There is a secret wall behind a chest (end of the room). Hit the wall to make it disappear. You can then drop down into the Untended Graves area and will get the “Untended Graves” trophy.
Resetting skill points and changing appearance
You can reset skill points in the “Cathedral Of The Deep” area, which is the area where you fight the Deacons of the Deep Boss. The nearest bonfire is called “Cleansing Chapel”. Take the elevator up to the Cathedral’s rooftop, and climb up the ladder to the very top. You then need to drop down to a small balcony in the Cathedral’s main hall and again from the balcony to an area below. The path leads to a room with a hidden bonfire and a worm-like being named Rosaria. Talk to Rosaria, and she will let you join her covenant (Rosaria’s Fingers). You can then talk to her to respec skill points and change your character’s appearance. Note: You only have a total of five resets — so make sure to use them wisely.